Roy “Doc” Brown and Betty Moved to Bixby in January of 1946. They then partnered with Doc’s cousin to open the Packing House at 10 W. Dawes. Although the grocery store has changed names through the years, most everyone still calls it “Doc’s”.
The store changed locations from the Dawes site to 111 N. Cabaniss, currently the local Dollar General, in 1965. The store moved then again to 211 N. Cabaniss, currently the Bixby Community Center, in 1980. In 1999, the store moved to its current location in the Spartan Shopping Center on Memorial Dr., changing its name to Doc’s Country Mart.
Through the years, no matter what the store’s name was, the Brown family has provided more than just groceries for Bixby citizens. They have established a legacy of generosity and commitment to the school children, civic organizations, and worthy causes. Since 1997, that legacy has spread to the other communities we’ve expanded into.
In 1997 and again in 2004, we opened Country Marts in Glenpool and Coweta, nearby communities to Bixby’s west and east. In 2008, we acquired two Apple Markets out west, Fairview and Watonga, specifically. In 2011, we opened another Apple Market, this time in Newkirk, north of Ponca City. The opening of our Apple Market in Oologah in 2013 marked our first ground up construction since 1980. Most recently, in 2014 and 2015 we acquired stores in Collinsville and Oilton, naming them JB’s Markets, our first original brands.
Through our growth, we’ve been fortunate to be involved in some of Oklahoma’s finest communities and have worked with unforgettable individuals. Needless to say, we’re looking forward to another 70 years!